Monday, September 15, 2008
Advertisers v. Consumerism
I believe that in this moment in time that consumers are the ones in power. Our economy is not at its best and for the average consumer, they can only spend on whats affordable instead of what looks like the best product. You can advertise all day long that one's product is the quickest, newest and coolest product ever but if the consumers don't have the money to pay for it then they wont buy it. I didn't think about it until Katheryn said that the new kind of advertising is to ask consumers themselves, what kind of advertising would they want to see. I believe that if you give this advertising campaign a little more time to develop then you will bring back the power to the advertisers. In my opinion the power between advertising and consumerism shifts about the same time that the economy does and so in one since I agree with Xihua whenever he quoted Ogilvy saying, “Advertising doesn’t force someone to purchase a product, but it plays a huge role.” (353), from the book, "What’s wrong with Advertising?” In another sense I believe that when our economy is doing well then we go for what the advertising companies tell us to. When the economy isn't doing so well, we will go to Walmart to see what we can afford. My big question that I keep asking myself is,"will this new kind of advertising that involves asking the consumers what they like to see effect they balance between the power of the consumers and advertising?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment